Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What renovations are worth doing before selling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What renovations are worth doing before selling?

Would love the NYC real estate community's thoughts on this. There are many fluff articles out there about this topic, many of which are simply advertorials for home renovation companies and general contractors. No surprise, but most of the blog posts you'll see about this topic will unequivocally advocate renovating your home before trying to sell it, to get some completely unquantifiable percent return on investment.

I find this to be completely ridiculous, because experience tells me that renovations always take twice as long and cost twice as much as you think it will, especially in an expensive city like New York City. As a result, I really can't find any justification for telling home owners that they should take on some arbitrary gut renovation project right before they need to sell their home. That's just completely irresponsible. What if they need to move desperately? You're going to stick them with a costly renovation that will likely run over budget (especially for regular people with little renovation experience) and over deadline?

My answer to what renovations are worth doing before selling? Nothing. Literally nothing. It's always better to lower the price to account for any potential renovation or repair work a future buyer might wish to do.

Furthermore, if you make random cosmetic changes, how on earth will you know if the new buyer will even appreciate your sense of style? What if the buyer hates your design and rips it out the instant they own it? In that case, you've wasted money on renovations for nothing, and likely got less money because the buyer had to account for removing your updates and doing their own renovations! Plus, what a waste for the environment, and a waste of money in general. The only person who wins? The contractor.

So please, don't waste money on renovations before selling. It's never worth it! Money is much more fungible, so simply lower the price!

P.S. While I don't think major renovations are ever a good idea, simple obvious touch-ups that are easily done by you or your building superintendent can be worthwhile. These include simply things like replacing a broken doorknob, a broken mirror, re-painting the walls especially if there is peeling paint, and perhaps re-sanding the floors if there are major scratches. Simple stuff like this that doesn't cost a lot, and which can be easily done by yourself. These can often be worthwhile enhancements before you start showing your property, but that's it!

Here's what we would recommend:

1. Repaint any aggressively painted walls to white or any shade of off-white
    2. Repair any visible cracks or stains on walls or ceilings, as some buyers will (wrongly) assume these are structural problems or water leaks
    3. Replace the bathroom vanity and possibly the medicine cabinet if your bathroom isn't renovated, as it will give a huge boost to the appeal/aesthetic of your unit

Comment

Make some repairs before selling

You have decided to sell house in Nashville or any other city, make repairs for a good sale. It will be easy if you make some significant repairs and sell the house to any company or listener.

We list down several major repairs which you could be done it increases your house value,
      1. Take care of any water Damage
      2. Replacing the Roof
      3. Taking care of plumbing
      4. Setup new windows
      5. Repaint your house before selling
      6. Some Basics Exterior of the House

Comment

Thanks for the good recommendations. I want to sell my late father’s house now, and I will make good use of the things you recommend. And I will pay special attention to the walls because they are yellow in this house and not all possible buyers like this color. I will change it to white and try to fix all the visible issues.

Comment

Thanks for the good recommendations. I want to sell my late father’s house now, and I will make good use of the things you recommend. And I will pay special attention to the walls because they are yellow in this house and not all possible buyers like this color. I will change it to white and try to fix all the visible issues.
          There’s nothing terminally wrong with the house itself. It’s just a little old and needs some renovation, but I don’t want to do that for my money. I have already repainted the siding with new paint to make the house look better. And I offer the house with a discount. I don’t want to fool anyone and want a fair price.

Comment

I think the OP is wrong. I support the basic statement that cosmetic or design renovations done to the owner's taste won't help him sell the house. But if the walls are cracking and the roof is leaking, you must fix it before selling. These are quite obvious things that not all landlords take into account. I once rented an apartment on the 10th floor of a new building. During the first heavy downpour, the apartment was completely flooded! Most likely, the apartment owner wasn't aware of this problem because he quickly contacted an Indianapolis roof contractor to fix it. But some people make cosmetic repairs after such a flood and rent the apartment to the next tenants without solving the main problems! How many times such a person will be able to get rent money before the whole state knows about his housing?

Comment

If you're thinking about selling your home, it's important to consider what renovations or updates might add value to your property and attract potential buyers. Here are some suggestions for renovations that are worth doing before selling:
              1. Improve curb appeal: The first impression your home makes is crucial in attracting potential buyers. Consider painting the exterior of your home, updating the landscaping, or replacing your front door to create a welcoming and inviting entrance.
              2. Kitchen updates: The kitchen is often the heart of the home, and buyers tend to prioritize it when looking for a new home. Consider updating your kitchen by replacing outdated appliances, refreshing the cabinetry with a new coat of paint or hardware, or installing new countertops.
              3. Bathroom updates: Similar to the kitchen, buyers also prioritize bathrooms when looking for a new home. Consider updating your bathroom with new fixtures, replacing outdated tiles, or installing a new vanity.
              4. Flooring updates: Replacing old or worn-out flooring can make a significant difference in the appearance of your home. Consider replacing carpet with hardwood or laminate flooring, or refreshing existing hardwood floors with a new coat of stain or polish.
              5. Painting: A fresh coat of paint can make a big difference in the appearance of your home. Consider painting the walls in neutral colors to create a clean, fresh look that appeals to a wide range of buyers.

Remember, not all renovations or updates will add value to your home. Be sure to do your research and consult with a real estate developers to determine which updates are worth investing in before putting your home on the market.

Comment

Working...
              X